Saturday 3 September 2011

The Canadian 2011 - Sprint Duathlon

5:30 am wake up call after I had worked until 11pm the night prior.  I was exhausted and there was little gas in my system.  I managed to down 1.5 healthy cups of coffee and my ever popular pre-race meal of peanut butter on toast.  I had managed to scramble everything together the previous evening so all I had to do was get dressed and go to Mooney's Bay for the mornings festivities.

My race of choice today was the Sprint Duathlon - an event I had yet to compete in.  I thought what better way to break in my new bike which I had purchased at the end of June 2011 than to take it out for a race.  I hadn't had a bike since I was in high school, but my dream of completing an Ironman requires one.  What better way to test the waters with the Sprint Duathlon which consisted of a 2km run, 30 km bike, and topped off with another 5km run to the finish.

I got there eager to set up my transition zone as I was unfamiliar with the process, but I learned very quickly.  I put my bike up on the rack, towel on the ground, cleats were positioned perfectly, and water bottles in their holsters ready for action.  Hundreds of bikes lined the transition zone, owned by all the competitors taking part in 1 of the 17 events being hosted today.  I felt at home in the T-Zone, a place I will always want to chase to.

I felt great during the first run portion of the race, leading the pack of 87 people taking part in the duathlon.  I got the the transition zone first of the group, but my learning experience commenced then.  To be successful and fast in transitions, you should station your bike near the bike exit location.  2 men who followed me into the transition zone exited before me since their bikes were located nearest the exit.  Oh well, next time I will do better.

Secondly, I figured out just how poor of a cyclist I truly am.  These men were off like bullets, and left me in their dust.  I tried to keep up with them but I also wanted to finish the race alive.  During the bike course, I constantly got passed, which made me start contemplating if I should actually finish?  Whats the point....I came out strong and now am being left behind in everyone's dust.  What I forgot though was that the bike course was shared by all events at practically the same time.  I was not being passed by just duathletes, but also triathletes and potential iron distance competitors.  At one instance I almost talked myself into quitting, but I thought - I am here, I might as well finish.

I got back into the transition zone with my bike at my side, hung it up and threw my shoes on so quick I must have passed 5 athletes.  I thought to myself - I may be weak at biking but I can sure run with the best of them.  I passed 3 more athletes as I reached the 1 km marker, then another 4 more at the half way point.  I was really flying - well actually running fast but still, it was making up for my poor performance on the bike.

As I crossed the finish line I saw the time - 9:27am.  I had managed to finish in my time goal of 1 hour 30 minutes.  But just how fast was I in each leg of the race?  Here are the stats:

Total Time: 1:24:41.8
2km Run: 7:59 min - 3rd overall
30km Bike: 54:56 min, average 32.8km/hr - 12th overall
5km Run: 21:48 min - 3rd overall

These numbers go to show just where I need to improve - my bike. My transitions were flawless and I did not loose anytime there.  I also know that my legs felt great as I transitioned since I had practice this in training.  My mission over the winter is simple and I will do my very best to improve that aspect of my performance.

Thank you to Somersault Events for putting together such a successful event!  You guys really know what you are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment