Sunday 4 September 2011

70.3 Ironman in 2012 - Mont Tremblant perhaps?

Aside from the this years events, I still have one event that has been lurking in the back of my mind - the 70.3 Ironman.  I had told myself that this coming year I was to complete a Half Ironman with ambition to complete a full Ironman distance in 2013.  My problem was finding the right place to pursue this goal, but an option has opened up - Mont Tremblant.

This year, Mont Tremblant hosted their first ever Ironman event which took place this past August.  I had the pleasure of visiting the city weeks prior and I must say, it is a magnificent location.  The streets are always filled with outdoor enthusiasts taking in the scenery whether it be on a bike, running, or meandering through the countless trails.  For a place which is renowned for its great ski hill, it offers many activities for everyone during the summer months as well.

But as the name of the city implies, Mont Tremblant is littered with many hills.  While driving around, I cannot recall the amount of cyclists I say switching down the gears so that they could feasibly climb these never ending uphill battles.  By the time they reached the top, their legs were shaking and they relied on gravity for the descent.  Is this the feeling I want to have during the bike portion?  Lets dissect!

What does a Half Ironman consist of? A 1.2 mile Swim, 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile run.  This tally's up to an impressive 70.3 mile distance, which is incorporated into the events name - Ironman 70.3 Series.  Below are the course maps which are provided on the Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant website:



The swim and the run do not look as challenging as the bike course.  If you take a close look at the elevation change for the cycle portion, the total climb is 140 meters!  One climb alone is almost 100 meters in and of itself.  This is the only leg of the race I fear the most since I know the swim and run portions I will be able to tackle just fine.  Furthermore, to put another goal out there - if I was to finish this half ironman in a considerably fast pace - I could see myself qualifying for 70.3 Ironman Las Vegas... but I will have to devote lots of time over the winter to achieve such a reward.

Anyways, registration opens September 19th, 2011 - the day after my half marathon.  Hopefully by then I will have made my decision!  For more information on the event click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment