Sunday 18 September 2011

Army Run 2011

By the sound of a cannon, 6395 participants were off for the 2011 Army Run Half Marathon.  I hadn't managed to secure myself a spot leading the pack this time because I knew why I was there - to finish.  I did have a time goal (1.5 hours) but I knew that starting out in the front might only lead me to failure later on.  I have a bad habit of going out strong but realizing later on that I went out too strong.


I was further back in the pack, actually I was about 2 arms lengths away from the 1:40 pace bunny who seemed fired up and ready to go.  It took approximately 30 seconds or so for me to actually start the run since I had to wait for everyone in from of me to commence.  In addition to this, I needed to weave my way through the masses and clusters of friends chit chatting as they seemed to be on their leisurely stroll.  


I found a nice opening on the right side of the course and planned my attack.  I picked up my pace as I ran past easily 300 people down Wellington Street.  Family and friends of other runners lined the streets cheering and waving as their brave counterparts challenged the 21.1 km distance.  I almost got smacked in the face by accident as I weaved too close to someone waving from the sidelines. 

I remember seeing the 3 km marker and saying - I have only gone 3km???  I feel like I have been running forever!  with 18.1 km left, I pushed ahead knowing that the finish line never gets farther.


Some kilometers seemed longer than others, and for that I do not know why.  With all this spare time on my hands to think, I thought that they may have misplaced some of the markers... making some kilometers shorter than others.  I obviously was over exaggerating but I needed to keep my mind focused on something other than the burning sensation in my legs.  At about the 9 km marker, I started to feel tension in my calves and my lower abdominus was starting to tense up.  I was almost at the half way point - no stopping now.


The first 10 km seemed torturous and every time I saw a marker I thought to myself, less to travel, less to travel.  My mind started to travel more and more, as if I was drifting into unconsciousness.  I knew where I was but I did not think about what I was doing.  My leg turnover became involuntary and I felt great, as if I was meant to do this 24 hours a day.


The 12th km seemed fast.  I actually missed seeing the marker and was confronted with the 13th! I felt great knowing that I only had 8km left to go.  But those 8 km were going to stress me physically and mentally.  My calves were starting to lose tension but my abdominus was irritating me.


As I came up to the Laurier Street Bridge, I looked above to see my support group waving frantically at me. I couldn't have asked for anything better than to see my girlfriend, my dad and his girlfriend.  My dad gave me the biggest thumbs up and I could see the smiles on each of their faces, but I wasn't done yet.  I still had just over 3km to go.


I will never forget the pain I felt as I crossed the Pretoria Bridge.  It felt as if my abdominal muscle had torn and was incapacitated.  I knew that was not the case but that's how I felt. Imagine stretching your biceps past its normal range of motion - that's exactly how my abdominal muscles felt.  I told myself "I can do it, only 1.5 km to go.  Why stop now?  Pain can heal.  The dozens and dozens of screaming and supporting people that lined the final bit of the course helped me smile and push forward.


I was nearing the finish line and I looked up at the clock... I couldn't believe it.  10 km previously I would not have predicted this result.  I felt as if I was going too slow at times, but I do not run with a watch for this reason; I see dozens of other runners looking down at their wrists countless times.  The only thing I need to look at is ahead and whats next.  Here are my results as posted by Sportstats.ca



PlaceNameCityBib#TimeChipPaceCategoryCategory
Place
Gender
Place
81NICHOLAS RAVANELLI Ottawa27681:26:53.31:26:24.5 4:08 Men 20 - 2920/60777/3241


Now to do a little math:
Overall: Top 1.3%
Category Place: Top 3.3%
Gender Place: Top 2.4%


When I finally made my way out of the finish zone, banana and power bar in hand, I saw my support group.  My girlfriend with a huge smile upon her face, my dad giving me a thumbs up and a joyous congrats from his girlfriend.  I could barely stand straight and I swayed back and forth.  My dad constantly ask, "Are you alright?" my response, "you run 21.1 km straight and I will ask you the same thing."


The true testament as to why I ran seriously hit me after my girlfriend and I sat on a park bench at City Hall.  I thought I would have been crying as I passed the finish line, but the pain in my stomach seemed to dominate. 

As we sat on the park bench, my girlfriend muttered 4 simple words that made me cry tears of joy.


"He would be proud."


Giovanni Ravanelli - March 11, 1935 - September 9th, 2011.


Peacefully, Friday September 9, 2011 at the Ottawa Hospital General Campus at the age of 76.  Beloved husband of Marina.  Loving father of Rosa (Rick) and Agostino “Angus”.  Cherished Nonno of Alexia, Amanda, Adam, Mika, Nicholas and Jonathan.   Son of the late Agostino and Filomena-Rosa.  Dear brother of Enzo, Francesca, Eugennia and the late Guiseppe.  Brother in law of Angela, Anna, Norina and the late Natale, Maria and Genoveffa.  Giovanni will be fondly remembered by many family and friends in Ottawa and Italy.  Special thanks to Dr. Rodney Breau and the ICU staff at the Ottawa Hospital.   Friends may pay respects at Kelly Funeral Home 2313 Carling Avenue (west of Carlingwood)  Monday from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.  Funeral Tuesday to St. Anthony’s Church for Mass of Christian Funeral at 11:30 a.m.  Entombment Pinecrest Cemetery.  In Memoriam donations to the Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre Foundation appreciated.  


To donate, click here or here.
Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nick, first and foremost I'm sorry for your loss. From what you'd told me, he seemed like a great man and he definately would have been proud.

    Once again, you've really prooved yourself and pushed your limits as an endurance athlete. Your physical training has brought you so far, but it looks like your mental training is just at strong. You're a tough guy and probably one of the most committed and determined athletes I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

    Congrats bud, you did something great today.

    ReplyDelete