Monday 25 June 2012

Day 3: Mont Tremblant Half Ironman


My alarm went off at 6:20am, although I had beaten it again.  I laid in bed this morning thinking to myself and wondering how tomorrow would fair out.  I was worried that it might rain tonight or tomorrow during the bike and/or run, or that I might feel sick during the race, or that I might just not have the strength to continue.  I finally managed to crawl out of bed and make my way to the kitchen for some pre run energy.

  This morning I decided to go for a light run along the start of the run course – nothing overly exhausting.  I had my morning java and a Honey Stinger Wafer to commence my day.  The start of the run course is just as gorgeous as the bike, and just as hill filled too.  I found myself battling hill after hill at the start; but I also foresaw all this – I am in Mont Tremblant remember?  I did not go out for too long – about 30 minutes – just to keep my legs fresh for tomorrow’s greatest endeavor.  I ran through the Village of Tremblant and witnessed many other Triathletes with wetsuits in hand going down to the beach to get in a brisk morning swim.  The weather outside this morning was tipping the thermometer at 12˚C and I can only imagine how cold that water is!  Later today I will find myself in the same body of water seeing just how far 2km is in open water.

  Yesterday I managed to pick up my race kit and let me just say, they spare no expenses on this ‘goody bag.’  Not only did it come with infamous race shirt, it also came with a Merrell running hat and a perfect small gym bag which is carrying my wetsuit for later.  I also got my swim cap, 2 race bib numbers, clothing bag, and multiple number stickers for my bike and helmet.



  This morning I also began preparing my transition bag.  Inside this bag is a towel, my cycling shoes, running shoes, and race nutrition.  My race nutrition consists of gummy bears and a Honey Stinger wafer for the bike portion and two Clif Bar Power Gel Shots for the run.  I have tested all this on my stomach so there should be no problems! (Fingers crossed).

During my open water swim, I found out just how hard it is to swim in open water.  The hard way. I had never attempted a swim in open water before, merely assuming that my countless hours in a pool would suffice.  I got out 300 metres and became so frightened I turned around dreading tomorrow.  I was shaking when I finally got to the beach.  Being in a pool is far safer than being in the middle of a lake.  I spent the rest of the day in fear of what I was about attempt the next day... 2km in open water with two options; either give up or push through.


No comments:

Post a Comment