Friday 22 June 2012

Day 2: Mont Tremblant Half Ironman


  I knew I had made the right decision of driving down the night before so that once I woke up I was prepared and ready to go for the next day.  I had set my alarm for 7:45am but found myself tossing and turning hours before.  I was anticipating the first day of scoping out the bike course… which I expected was full of hills.

  This morning ride served multiple purposes; checking out a portion of the bike course, testing out the new tri suit, and seeing if the Giro Advantage2 proved any noticeable difference.  I knew I was at the tail end of a taper phase therefore I was not planning on going out hard.  Although that was my plan… plans do not always go accordingly.
  
  I started going down the first portion of the bike course and the roads were filled with M dot markers and cyclists testing out bikes and the terrain.  The scenery was beautiful which took my mind away from the courses fluctuating elevations.  The first portion of the bike course is all rolling hills which makes for great breaks to catch ones breath in between hard uphill battles.  I managed to complete this section with little exhaustion which allowed me to attempt the final portion of the bike course – an increase in elevation of 100 metres at approximately 12% grade.

  What a ride.  It was amazing going up such a treacherous hill.  It was not a straight climb which allowed for an easier ride up the mountain.  When I got to the top I could hardly believe it. I was so happy to have conquered the hardest hill in the ride with tones of energy in the tank to continue.  The best part of going up is down and this hill certainly proved it.  I was descending at speeds upwards of 65km/h and enjoying the thrill ride as I zipped past trees and other riders.  The biggest fear on this hill would be falling at such speeds but I knew that if I want to be ready for race day, I need to prepare now.  When I got back from the ride, I felt great and ready to face the rest of my relaxing and restful day.

  As for the other purposes of the ride – the Giro Advantage2 helmet felt great!  I could literally feel it slice the wind.  It didn’t feel once like it was slowing me down which I enjoyed most.  The suit was just as great and although it seemed as if it did not have sufficient padding, I could barely notice anything different.

  Later on I will be picking up my race kit and maybe a few new pieces of clothing from the Ironman Store conveniently located within 5 minutes of my doorstep!  What is in store for tomorrow? I believe I will get up for a nice light paced run with an open water swim later on in the morning or afternoon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment