Thursday 5 January 2012

Listening to Ones Body

Yesterday, Wednesday January 4th, 2012, illustrated the first time I have ever felt physical fatigue to the point of no return.  I had planned my workout to consist of 45 minutes of swimming followed by a meandering 30 minute run, I workout routine I had accomplished in the past with great success.  Yesterday was different.

I came out of the water after 45 minutes and felt alright, my back and legs were a little worn as I had focused on my kicking technique for the later half of the session.  I suited up into my running attire and strapped on my heart rate monitor - ready to go.  I input the data into the treadmill and began to warm up but something felt off.  My legs were heavy and I was becoming fatigued quickly at a very slow pace.  My run was not feeling as it has in past endeavors... so I decided to attempt to cycle instead which felt just as awkward.  So after literally 3 minutes of attempting to workout, I walked out of the gym - why?

Even the greatest athletes in the world take time off to recover and can tell when they are just not 'feeling it'.  I myself am not proclaiming to be a great athlete, but I am a smart one from my experience and when something isn't right, that is when I call it quits.  People who push themselves at times like this are the ones who become frequently injured due to constant overtraining.  I have endured the pain of overtraining before and due to my experience, the best remedy is time off to recover.

My plan?  I took the rest of yesterday off and today to receive the much needed rest to return back to normal for my future workouts.  I have put a lot of effort into my training and I can afford a couple days of rest to ensure a healthy training season.  I would rather 2 days off than 2 months off nurturing an injury.

Here are a few common symptoms indicating you should rest and avoid the overtraining syndrome:

  • If it doesn't feel right or you feel exhausted with what used to be simple
  • If your sleeping patterns change or you wake up in the middle of the night
  • You crave sweets and chocolate
  • You get easily agitated or frustrated at little things
  • You increase caffeine intake to stay awake
  • You fall asleep in the afternoon which prior was uncommon

If you fall victim to any of these - take a day or two off for rest and recovery.  A healthy athlete is a smart athlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment