Sunday 13 May 2012

Day Before Mothers Day Run

At 10:10 am on May 12th, 2012, I started my second ever half marathon race.  Knowing how I did in my previous attempt, I wished to beat my PR of 1:26:29 with a small goal of sub 1:25:00.  Unfortunately I came short of said goal by 4 minutes... finishing off with 1:29:14.  Not near my PR which was disappointing, however  I must admit, I had succumbed to two of the greatest troubles of a long distance runner - Gastrointestinal Distress and dehydration.

As I let loose out of the starting gates, I was first with quite a bit of distance from the pack (I would actually look back and see who in the mass start had a half marathon bib colour).  I was in the clear, running with the 10km race pack to ensure good timing I managed to keep with them for 7.5 km... until it hit me.  I started to feel minor cramping in my stomach and so I decided to slow down a bit in hopes it would subside.

The pain grew and grew but  I was not going to let it bother me - I was in first place looking stronger than ever.   I had completed the first loop in record timing (40:12) - I would have came 3rd in the 10km if I had done that race!  Although I wore a smile as I neared the roundabout, my insides were starting to get the better of me.

I was back out with a decent distance from the trailing second place runner.  With each stride I took, the pain grew.  I thought to myself, I can quit the race and loose my pride, or continue and finish.  I have yet to DNF in my short career therefore I thought I need to finish no matter what it takes.

Second place caught up to me around the 17km marker which I accepted... not much I could have done.  It was either I slow down or my pain gets the better of me.  I continued to fall back but I maintained second place  which was good enough for me.  Although I finished strong on such a hot day, I found myself not stopping at the finish line, but continuing to the nearest rest room!  I know I am not the only runner who has ever suffered, nor will this be my last time.

Not only did I suffer from GI distress, I also had fallen victim to severe dehydration on account of insufficient fluid intake during the race and the heat (it was 22 degrees when I started and when I finished it had risen to 24).  I hold myself accountable for this mishap as I should have properly prepared myself with plenty of water and maybe some sodium tablets prior to racing.

I will never declare a race a waste of time as with every race I will learn from what had happened.  I will correct the mistakes and hopefully come back stronger and better prepared for whatever comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment