Saturday 13 August 2011

Proper Technique = Gains

Today at the gym, it made me realize something... a lot of people assume that they are doing exercises right, but in actuality, they are not!  I myself know that there are some exercises where my technique is poor, but I strive to make form my up most importance.  I see people attempt to do triceps extensions with the cable machines but swing their upper arms, bicep curls where they arch their back and use its momentum to pull up the weight just so that their friends can see them curl 50 lbs.  Simply put, poor form will not increase your muscles size and strength effectively.  In reality, poor form can cause muscle imbalances, injury, decrease potential gains, and be a little embarrassing...

When performing an exercise poorly, for example the biceps curl, most people tend to swing their back to facilitate the lifting of the dumb bells or barbell.  This may allow you to lift a heavier load, but you are defeating the purpose of the exercise.  Since you begin to activate other muscles to perform the task, your biceps get a smaller portion of the load, which will not allow them to increase in strength.  To perform a biceps curl properly, the only movement that should occur is around the elbow joint.  Unfortunately, too many people make this mistake which can cost them in the future with probable muscle imbalances.

How do I do a proper lat pulldown?  How do I perform a proper seated lateral raise?  Whats a military press and how else can I work my shoulders?  Scott Hermans Fitness channel on YouTube can help you.  He has a substantial library of how to videos for many exercises and he breaks them down so people can learn the proper technique.   Not only can it be helpful in developing technique, it can also increase your exercise knowledge base.  Seriously check out his YouTube channel, anyone can learn something from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment